3/10/12

Weekend Repertoire: Barber Excursion No. 3


At my weekly library excursion last weekend (we call it "Wafflelibraryfriday" at our house - each Friday we try to cook waffles and visit the library - fun tradition!) I decided to pick up a few classical CD's to peruse. I am a lover of many types of music, but somehow I always come back to classical.

I picked up a CD of Barber's Excursions, and apparently I was not familiar with Excursion No. 3, because it was a new, beautiful discovery for me! The gorgeous harmonies and beautiful flowing melody drew me in, and then I was pleasantly surprised by the fun, syncopated rhythms. I think I may need to add this to my "Repertoire Wish List!" Take a listen!



Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful Barber piano piece, based on the theme from "Streets of Laredo". The difficult polymetric is tricky, which changes throughout. I made an attempt to learn this a couple of years ago, but never had the time to devote. I hope to go back and pick-up again soon.

Anonymous said...

In addition to the polymetric, there is also the polyrhythm involved in this piece, which makes it interesting but also difficult to master.

Related Posts with Thumbnails