Weekend Repertoire: Schumann's Arabeske


As my son went up to bed tonight (at the time of writing this post...yes I write a lot of these in advance - as a mama you've got to take the time when it's available!), he called down the stairs, "Mommy, play me some music!" Which really warmed my heart because he doesn't often say things like that. He usually tries to pull me away from the piano instead of requesting it. I played through a few pieces, and then picked up Schumann's Arabeske, a piece I have loved ever since hearing it for the very first time, and one that I performed at my sophomore recital in college. As I played the familiar notes it was almost like seeing an old friend after many years. There really is something so beautiful and transcendent about this piece, the harmonies and the colors that simply rekindles my love of music and the piano.

If you are not familiar with this amazing piece, please take a few minutes and watch this amazing video of Horowitz's performance of it in Carnegie Hall. Pay close attention at 5:58 - this little "benediction" is just heavenly. Who else is just amazingly grateful for music after hearing this piece?



Labels: , , , ,