So I need to tell you about some awesome piano/music software that I just bought.
I currently have a little student who is preschool-aged (not to mention an almost-3 son who LOVES learning about music and piano with his mommy). Because of Janina's recommendation, I decided to buy Pianomouse Goes to Preschool. And let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE this software! You should go buy it. Seriously.
This software is published by Pianomouse (and I just discovered that if you go to their website, pianomouse.com, they are currently updating their software and creating a new product line for 2011 - can't wait!) and it is made for children ages 3 through 5.
Some things I love about this software:
- The characters are fun, and they fully narrate the entire game
- Colorful illustrations and fun music
- It is simple to use, even for young children (my almost 3-year-old loves it)
- Teaches recognition of the musical alphabet, musical symbols, notes, musical instruments, and composers, as well as how many beats each note gets - can you imagine teaching a 5-year-old who already knew all of these things? I think it is great.
- I think my favorite part of this is Khachaturian's Keyboard - it teaches keyboard topography and includes finding high and low notes, finding groups of three black keys and two black keys, and finding groups of high black keys and low black keys.
- I love that my son can already distinguish between the different types of notes and can even pick out a half note without seeing another picture of one, and that he is saying things like "treble clef" :)
Children select games from the interactive menu screen. As you move your mouse over each picture, the names of each game are narrated by the fun characters.
The software consists of twelve different games, some of which have a couple of different levels -
The Apple Note Farm
Pianomouse Coloring Book
Clara in the Concert Hall
Meet a Famous Composer
Puccini's Musical Hopscotch
Pianomouse's Music Workshop
I think that this software is an excellent addition to any music class or studio that involves young children. It helps give them a great foundation for their continued music and piano study.