7/14/10

the influence of a teacher

As I have the great opportunity of starting my piano studio over from scratch in a new city, I have been thinking a lot about things I want to change, things I want to improve and and things I want to do differently. I have thought a lot about my goals as a teacher, my teaching philosophy and what I am trying to accomplish as a teacher. I have thought about my own teachers and how they have not only taught me piano lessons but have helped me to become a better person.

Yesterday as I was going through a box of papers and books, I came upon this great quote, which I think is so applicable to us as teachers, and I wanted to share it!


I have come to the frightening conclusion
that I am the decisive element.
It is my personal approach
that creates the climate.
It is my daily mood that makes the weather.
I possess tremendous power to make
a life miserable or joyous.
I can be a tool of torture
or an instrument of inspiration.
I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal.
In all situations, it is my response that decides
whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated,
and a person humanized or de-humanized.
If we treat people as they are,
we make them worse.
If we treat people as they ought to be,
...we help them become what they are capable of
becoming.

-Goethe

3 comments:

JenSwen said...

I LOVE this. What a powerful and insightful poem. Thanks for sharing it!

Heidi said...

I love this poem! I like pondering how it applies to my role as a mother/teacher to our children as well.

On another note... one of the greatest bits of advice I received after relocating and starting my studio from scratch was to incorporate a lab as part of the lessons. It has worked out well and I am so glad I decided to - both for the added benefits for my students and the flexibility it affords me while raising my own children at home where I teach.

Jenny Bay said...

Heidi - I assume you are referring to a theory computer lab? I am planning on incorporating that in my studio for the first time! Each student will receive 15 minutes on the computer in addition to their lesson. I'm excited!

Related Posts with Thumbnails