Do your students know HOW to practice?

Image Link
As teachers, we should not only expect our students to practice, but it is our job to teach them how to practice effectively. Practicing really is an art, and must be taught. It shouldn't just be left up to chance that our students will figure out how to practice well.

In some ways I feel that I really didn't learn how to really practice well until my last couple of years of college. I finally learned to really listen, to be harder on myself in not making little mistakes and demanding perfection, and to be more efficient in my practicing.

Young piano students especially need to constantly be taught the basics of practicing efficiently and effectively. Here are a few ideas:
In what ways do to teach your students how to practice effectively?

Labels: , ,