why I love teaching piano

I just love teaching piano. It can be so rewarding and fun and energizing. Especially when my students love and enjoy it, too. In my mind, joy is a great indicator of how the lessons are going (obviously there are other factors - but really, if both you and the student are dreading lessons, I think it's safe to say they're not going so well...). If, overall, both you as a teacher and your students find joy in piano lessons, then I think you have success.

Think about it. What about teaching is a joy to you? Here is my little list I have compiled from my experience:
These are the things we should strive for! Let's be honest though, this is the ideal, and lessons don't always go this way. On the flip side we've got times like these, where teaching is not so much a joy:
For me, teaching should be a joy or there is no point. When teaching is not a joy, it becomes a chore and it is hard, let's be honest! However, I think that when we work harder to become better teachers, to be more organized, professional, prepared and positive, then the chances of it being a joy go way up. And that is what we should be continually striving for, right?

That is our hope with this blog - that by sharing insights, experiences and ideas, we will all be able to become better teachers for our students, that we will be able to bring the JOY back into teaching piano.

What makes teaching a joy for you? Any great stories to add to the lists above (I'd seriously love to hear them)? What do you think we can do to achieve more joy in our teaching? I'd love to hear from you!

Labels: ,